Here are my 5 favorite things for safe solo travel.
First, I will restate my solo travel mantra here: It is safe to solo travel EVERYWHERE. You simply have to plan specific to your destination; do your homework and then align your behavior and activities with your destination. I wrote the Bald Girl Will Travel: A Guide to Travel Safety & Security for Solo Female Travelers to provide women with practical safety tips for solo travel.
It is chock full of safety tips and guidance every female solo traveler should follow that I picked up over my several years of traveling solo for business and pleasure and overseeing Global Security and multiple international development organizations.
My Five Favorite Things For Safe Solo Travel
Here are my five favorite things for safe solo travel! These items have served me well in my multiple solo travels and I never leave home without them. Here they are:
- Cloudz Wrist Wallet. This handy dandy wrist wallet allows me to take credit cards and cash without a purse and with most people not noticing. It has RFID technology embedded and the cost makes it inexcusable for you to not own one!
- Jamm Door Stopper and the Addalock. These are two items that I always use together if my bedroom door does not have a lock. They are the Jamm Door Stopper and the Addalock. These items combined together will make it near impossible for someone to enter your room even with a key.
- Mini First Aid Kit. This is something you simply should not travel without. This kit includes bandaids and alcohol swabs. But the great thing is that you can always switch out the contents for items you need like allergy medicine, Immodium, and Activated Charcoal Tablets! I love this one because you can clip it into your carry-on bag.
- Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors. In many countries, smoke, and carbon monoxide detectors are not required by law in hotels and short-term rentals, or even private homes. For this reason, I always travel with one. Bring along the right-sized batteries and place them on a high table. They are small enough to fit in any carry-on or checked bag.
- Vigilant Personal Alarm Whistle. Last but not least is my personal alarm whistle. I like to carry this with me at night especially. I clip it to my purse or belt buckle. It’s loud enough to throw someone off and give you enough time to make a quick exit from a situation. And it clips onto my carry-on bag easily. I love a good clip-on!
So there it is! My top five items for safe solo travel. Check out this video where I talk about each item and why I find them so important for solo trips!