Greetings, fellow wanderers! It’s Anne Marie aka Baldgirlwilltravel, and I’m thrilled to share an electrifying escapade with all of you.
In July 2023, kicking off my birthday celebrations (yep, proud August baby right here!), I decided to treat myself to a whirlwind weekend in the dazzling city of Las Vegas, Nevada. The highlight? Experiencing Usher’s sensational summer residency performance at the iconic Dolby Live.
Fasten your seatbelts because this journey was a rollercoaster of excitement, glitz, and indelible memories.
What to Pack and What to Wear
Preparing for Las Vegas, nestled in the desert with its scorching and dry climate, requires strategic packing and thoughtful attire. In July, temperatures soared to a staggering 114 degrees. Opt for breathable fabrics like cotton and linen to stay cool, and it’s wise to limit your time outdoors.
During my brief stay in Vegas, I chose to spend the majority of my time indoors, whether dining, shopping, or gearing up for the Meet and Greet with Usher and the concert. For the indoor excursions, I opted for casual clothing paired with comfortable sandals and sneakers. However, I made sure to kick it up a notch for the special occasions, donning a more dressed-up ensemble for both the Meet and Greet and the Concert.
Here are the essentials for me for Vegas in July:
Portable Handheld Fan ( a MUST for Vegas): JISULIFE Handheld Mini Fan, 3 IN 1 Hand Fan, Portable USB Rechargeable Battery Operated Small Pocket Fan
My favorite Sunscreen: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion, Broad Spectrum SPF 55 UVA/UVB
My favorite Hydrating Lotion: Eucerin Advanced Repair Body Lotion, Unscented Body Lotion for Dry Skin
My favorite walking shoes for summer: Birkenstock Arizona Sandals – Silver
What I Wore
For my weekend in Vegas, I decided to make pink my standout color. My chosen outfit for the Meet and Greet was a stunning dress from BooHoo paired with strappy Vince Camuto sandal in a pink python print.
To rock the concert, I dressed in a fabulous pink shorts suit from Venus Clothing. Pairing it with my well-loved Gucci Espadrille mules added the perfect finishing touches to my concert-ready ensemble.
Getting to Vegas is a breeze, with nonstop flights available from any major city in the USA. I personally flew nonstop from Mexico City via Aeromexico, and the journey took about a quick 2 hours.
Stepping off the plane, I was greeted by the intense desert heat, a whopping 104 degrees. But hey, it’s Vegas, baby! To make my arrival seamless, I had pre-arranged a car waiting for me, all thanks to Booking.com. If you’re keen on hassle-free airport transfers, don’t forget to check out Booking.com for your next journey. Trust me; it’s a game-changer. [CLICK HERE. to book your next airport transfer.]
Where to Stay
For my Vegas escapade, I set up base camp at the stylish and luxurious Park MGM. What made this choice even more fantastic was the fact that Dolby Live is conveniently nestled inside the Park MGM itself. I booked my room via TripAdvisor.
Beyond its sleek design, what truly impressed me about this hotel was its efficient transit system. Navigating the expansive MGM-owned properties like Park MGM, MGM Grand, and the Bellagio was a breeze. It’s like a mini city within the city, and let me tell you, it was a lifesaver in the scorching desert heat.
Things to Do
Before immersing myself in the concert excitement, I couldn’t resist the allure of some pre-celebration retail therapy. I splurged on early birthday gifts from my besties – Gucci, Fendi, and Louis Vuitton, all conveniently located at the dazzling Forum Shops.
My favorite gets of the weekend were the:
Gucci Blondie top handle bag – Deep Orange
This deep orange colorway is no longer available at Gucci or Saks Fifth Avenue (my Go-To) but you can find it on other sites.
After all, in Las Vegas, it’s all about embracing the “live your best life” mantra, isn’t it? And what better way to do that than with a touch of luxury from some of the most iconic fashion houses?
Meet and Greet with Usher
As the sun gracefully dipped below the horizon, I retreated to my hotel room for a quick rejuvenating nap and a refreshing shower, gearing up for the main event of the evening.
The highlight? A Meet and Greet with Usher himself. Trust me, it was worth every penny. Usher welcomed me with a warm hug and even planted a kiss on the back of my head. Beyond being an extraordinary entertainer, he proved to be a genuinely nice guy.
Take a peek at the snapshot capturing this unforgettable encounter!
I was buzzing with excitement, and as I merged into the sea of Usher fans, the energy in the air told me this night would be one for the books.
The Concert: Mind-Blowing!
Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you, the concert was an absolute spectacle! Usher took the stage and delivered a performance that left every single one of us in sheer awe.
The energy, the flawless choreography, and those soulful vocals had the entire audience on their feet, dancing and singing along. It was a night to remember.
Curious to catch a glimpse of the magic? I managed to capture some of the highlights on my YouTube channel. Dive into the experience with the YouTube video below:
Places to Eat
Now, let’s dive into the delicious side of my Vegas escapade because, let’s face it, a trip to Vegas is incomplete without savoring some culinary delights. Here are a few places I dined at and absolutely recommend:
Quick Dinner upon Arrival: Best Friend After my flight, I enjoyed a quick and delightful dinner at Best Friend, a Korean eatery that’s a delightful mashup of a bodega, bar, and restaurant. The Kimchee Fried rice and the Korean Wings were absolute standouts!
Lunch at the Water Grill on Saturday at the Forum Shoppes To keep me energized until Meet and Greet time, I indulged in a delectable crabcake and lobster bisque at the Water Grill inside the Forum Shoppes on Saturday. A perfect midday refuel!
Brunch on Sunday at Primrose Inside the Park MGM, Primrose offered a delightful brunch experience on Sunday. The food was scrumptious, and the atmosphere was just perfect for a relaxing Sunday. Highly recommended!
Moving around in Vegas was a breeze, especially with the seamless transit system within the MGM properties. The Park MGM served as my stylish hub, with Dolby Live conveniently nestled inside for easy access to the main event. I used Uber to get to places I couldn’t get to via the transit system provided by MGM. I used a car service courtesy of Booking.com to get to the hotel from the airport. But Uber worked for getting back at the end of my adventure.
Safety and Security
Las Vegas, renowned for its glitzy entertainment and vibrant nightlife, is an exhilarating destination for solo travelers. However, as a single female traveler, especially if you’re over 40, prioritizing safety and security is paramount. Here are key considerations and actions to ensure a secure experience for Fly 40+ visitors to Las Vegas.
- Research Your Accommodation: Wisely choose your accommodation by opting for well-reviewed hotels and resorts in safe areas. While the Las Vegas Strip and Downtown Las Vegas are popular choices, read recent reviews to assess safety and atmosphere.
- Stay Aware of Your Surroundings: Vegas’s energy can be overwhelming, so maintaining vigilance is crucial. Be mindful of your surroundings, especially in crowded areas. Guard your belongings and refrain from flaunting expensive items to minimize the risk of attracting unwanted attention.
- Use Reliable Transportation: Rely on reputable transportation options like taxis, rideshare services, and hotel shuttles when moving around the city. While walking the Strip can be enjoyable, stick to well-lit areas and avoid less populated streets at night.
- Dress Appropriately: Las Vegas embraces diverse styles, but opting for modest attire can help you blend in and reduce unwanted attention. Comfortable footwear is a must, given the likelihood of extensive walking.
- Share Your Itinerary: Inform someone you trust of your itinerary, including accommodation details and planned activities. Regular check-ins keep them aware of your whereabouts throughout your trip.
- Avoid Excessive Alcohol: Exercise caution with alcohol consumption during nightlife adventures. Overindulgence can impair judgment and make you vulnerable. Keep an eye on your drinks and be mindful of your alcohol tolerance.
- Stick to Populated Areas: Venturing into less crowded or unfamiliar neighborhoods can pose risks. Stick to well-frequented areas and public spaces to ensure your safety.
- Use a Travel App: Install a reliable travel safety app on your smartphone, allowing you to share your location with trusted contacts. Apps like Signal, Find My Phone, and Sitata provide emergency assistance and local safety tips.
- Trust Your Instincts: Your intuition is a powerful guide. If a situation or person raises discomfort, trust your instincts and remove yourself. Don’t hesitate to ask for help if needed.
Remember, solo travel anywhere requires a solid safety plan. Grab the BaldGirlWillTravel: A Guide to Travel Safety and Security for Solo Female Travelers, ensuring you follow these safety tips for a secure solo travel experience.