In this Blog Post I will share my current solo travel plans for 2023, where I am going, and why I picked these destinations and other locations on my secondary list.
So, without further ado, here is a list of where I am going in 2023. These are destinations that are already booked and set so you can keep following me here to learn more about each place, things to do, eat and see.
Where I am going in 2023
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Palermo, Mondello and Cefalu, Sicily
And in Mexico where I currently live, I hope to visit the following places for the first time:
I have been wanting a return visit to the African continent for some time and decided that 2023 will be the year when I return to Mother Africa and see, do and EAT! I have specific plans and excursion plans that I will share when I chronicle each visit individuals. So, stay tuned!
So how did I make these plans? My trips to Senegal, Kenya and Tanzania were booked over a year ago primarily using Scotts Cheap Flights and Booking.com. I am doing organized group trips to Egypt and Ghana. I do not usually do organized group travel but I am trying it next year and will compare that experience with my solo travel experiences.
My solo trip to Sicily for a milestone birthday was kind of impromptu decision. I found a decent air fare to Sicily in peak summer season and I will spend time in Palermo and visit the beach towns of Mondello and Cefalu.
For my many excursions I relied on Viator and GetYourGuide to find great deals on Safaris, walking tours, and airport transfers. As a woman traveling alone, I make a special point to ensure that I have all my ducks in a row before I get on my departure flights as I don’t like surprises though they still happen from time to time.
I cannot wait to return to the African continent to see and do things I have had on my bucket list like:
- The African Renaissance Monument, Dakar Senegal
- Shopping the Masai Market in Nairobi Kenya
- Strolling with lions in Dakar Senegal
- Visiting the Pink Lake in Dakar Senegal
- An overnight safari in Tanzania
- Feeding and swimming with turtles in Zanzibar, Tanzania
- The Pyramid of Giza in Egypt
- Cruising on the Nile in Egypt
- Sunning myself on the beaches of Mondello and Cefalu in Sicily
- Eating ALLLL the food in every destination I hit!
And so much more! And I will take you along every step of the way!
If you are planning to solo travel in 2023, I would encourage you to start your planning now!
Tips for starting your Solo Travel Planning
- Monitor travel apps and websites for the best deal. Download and follow websites for travel rate aggregators like Scott Cheap Flights, Skyscanner, Kayak and Google Flights to identify deals
- Let the deal guide your destination. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go to the places you have dreamed of but be prepared to go whenever a great deal shows up.
- Book the bulk of your travel in Winter/Spring and Fall shoulder season. The best deals are after New Year’s and before Spring break (early March). The second best are after Labor day and before Thanksgiving. Especially avoid Europe in the summer month and instead do the Caribbean which will cost less in the summer.
- Book early. While there are often last-minute deals, especially if you don’t have set travel destination targets, if you are looking to travel to specific places, the earlier you book the better.
- Use credit card point programs to lower your travel cost. If you already use credit cards, err on the side of only using cards that pay you back in some way, either cash back or points. I like the Chase Sapphire and the American Express Hilton Aspire.
- Research appropriate dress for you destination. Especially if traveling to Muslim countries, do your homework about what is or is not acceptable attire so that you blend in instead of standing out. You can create a Team Carry-on Clothing Capsule that is country appropriate if you research and plan early.
My Top 2023 Solo Travel Destinations for First Time Solo Travel
If you are planning a solo trip and need some destination ideas you may consider in addition to my 2023 picks, here are my top 5 place to consider for 2023 solo travel if you are Black Woman over 50 traveling solo for the first time.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico is an amazing destination for solo travel for Black Women over 40. Recently voted the friendliest city in the World, San Miguel de Allende boasts mild climates all year round, natural hot springs, wineries. Safe and affordable with endless things to do, see and eat.
Oaxaca City, Mexico
Oaxaca City, Mexico is The New Orleans of Mexico is a safe wonderful destination. If you love great food as I do and a deep cultural history visit Oaxaca.
I could wax poetic all day long about the wonder that is the city of Florence in the Tuscany region of Italy. Florence is the complete package. Food, Culture, Art, Music everything. It is home to some of the most timeless pieces of art. It is safe and friendly and an ideal place for a first-time solo traveler.
Georgia (the country not the state) is a hidden gem in Eastern Europe. Tbilisi, its capital is affordable, beautiful, safe with great food and wine.
Tobago, West Indies
Tobago, the sister island of Trinidad and part of the republic of Trinidad and Tobago, is true hidden gem in the Caribbean. Home to waterfalls, rain forest, rare birds hidden coves and gorgeous beaches, it is an island you may have never heard of but should definitely get to know. It is also a foodie paradise where you can eat some of the most delicious food you will ever sample in your life. It is believed that the island in the novel Robin Crusoe is based on the island.
No matter where you plan to solo travel in 2023 your travel should include a travel safety plan. Grab the BaldGirlWillTravel: A Guide to Travel Safety and Security for Solo Female Travelers and ensure you follow the safety tips to ensure a safe solo travel experience.
There you have it, my 2023 Solo Travel plans. I hope you will continue to follow me here and on social media as I take my passion for travel to the African continent and elsewhere!
Thank You For Reading!
Check out these solo travel blog posts:
This post may contain affiliate links to things like tours, hotels, Amazon associates, and products. These help me earn a small commission at no additional charge to you.